- This event has passed.
Advancing Religious Freedom in Asia and Oceania
November 18 at 9:00 am - 10:30 am AEDT
This side-event will be held online in Sydney, Australia.
We will be hearing from:
- The Right Rev Dr Michael Stead, the Anglican Bishop of South Sydney, and Chair of the Religious Freedom Reference Group for the Sydney Diocese. Michael helps to co-ordinate a coalition of faith leaders who together advocate for better protection for religious freedom in Australia. He will be speak on “The Challenges to, and Opportunities for, Religious Freedom in Australia”,
- Hon Tim Wilson MP, Member of the House of Representatives for the seat of Goldstein. Tim was formerly Australia’s Human Rights Commissioner.
- Eugene Yapp, from the Religious Freedom Institute, will speak about SEAFORB country networks,
- Desi Hanara from ASEAN Parliamentarians for Human Rights (APHR), will speak about the joint project between SEAFORB and IPPFORB on “Empowering Parliamentarians to Safeguard FORB Protection in the region”, as well as his work with the SEAFORB Indonesia Network.
- Dr Bob Fu from China Aid will speak on “Facilitating the Victims of Religious Persecution with a Mechanism of PPP (Private-Public Partnership)”. He will share successful examples on how China Aid coordinates with NGOs and Taiwan/US governments in supporting multiple victims of religious persecution in medical aid, spiritual healing and safe resettlement.
- Hon Kevin Andrews MP, Member of the House of Representatives for the seat of Menzies. Kevin was the Chairman of the Human Rights Sub-Committee of the Joint Standing Committee on Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade.
The event will be chaired by Mark Fowler of the Australian Christian Legal Society.
Mark Fowler is the principal of Fowler Charity Law Pty Ltd. He is an Appeals Panel member for the Australian Council for International Development (ACFID), the peak body for Australian non-government organisations (NGOs) involved in international development and humanitarian action. He is also an Adjunct Associate Professor at Notre Dame Law School.
The Zoom webinar ID is 882 1247 4129.
The Ministerial to Advance Religious Freedom or Belief is being virtually hosted by the Government of Poland. Official events are hosted by Poland. All side events are independently produced by the organizers of each event and are not endorsed by any government, the IRF Roundtable, or 21Wilberforce